Explore alongside a local, hearing stories of how this part of the city has been revitalized by the small business owners you meet along the way.
- Learn how local and international artists are helping to change a neighbourhood.
- See some truly amazing public art.
- Meet a guide whose story is part of the neighbourhood’s revitalisation.
- Feel good about making a small contribution to the city by becoming part of its history.
- Learn about the struggles of local and international artists and what it takes to create a five-story mural.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Children Ages 11 and under
Tour Cape Town’s Salt River Neighbourhood
Local Impact — How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- This tour is run in a partnership with Baz-Art, a non-profit organization that aims to showcase the power of street art and its ability to transform communities and individuals. A portion of each tour fee is donated to Baz-Art to fund street art projects like the one you visit on the tour.
- You visit Me’Kasi Coffee, a non-profit coffee bar run by the young men of Beth Uriel, a charity that provides young men from impoverished communities the chance to pursue meaningful, independent lives through a supportive living environment, connections to educational opportunities, positive social alternatives, and training in life skills. Each coffee purchased helps fund Beth Uriel’s life-changing work.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, coffee or tea at start of tour, extra gratuities for the vendors
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for vendors, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: 2 hours
- Meeting point: 289 Victoria Road, Salt River. View on Google Maps.
- Starting time: 11.00 am
- Ending point: Devils Peak brewery. 150 Cecil Rd, Salt River, Cape Town, 7925
Your tour first takes you to Me’Kasi Coffee, a training centre for young adults from impoverished communities. Once we arrive, a cup of coffee or tea is on us, and while you sip, you hear a bit about what the center is all about. Before leaving, you can opt to buy something in support of the centre, but that is totally up to you.
After we’re charged up for our walk, it’s time to go exploring. As we walk, you hear about the history of Salt River and the people who live in the neighbourhood. You might even meet some interesting people since your guide comes from the area and knows it well. This is also your chance to start adding to your Instagram feed — the architecture alone is enough to fill your phone.
By now, you’ve probably started to notice some of those aforementioned murals, of which we pass by up to 20 or 30 on our walk. Your guide fills you in on the positive effects these murals are having on the community. The murals were put up by the organization Baz-Art in conjunction with local communities and the city council. The vision of Baz-Art is to showcase the power of street art and its ability to transform communities and individuals. You can also feel good knowing that the vast part of the tour price will go to BAZ-ART NGO for more street art projects like the one you’re getting the chance to see.
At the end of the tour, you will have seen some amazing art, discovered the revitalized area of Salt River, and heard tales of courage and determination. Before departing, your guide can direct you back to your accommodations or provide tips on what else to see and do in Cape Town.
Dress standard: The Salt River area is a proper Muslim area, so we suggest modest clothing, though this is not a requirement.
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional Information: The vast part of the tour price will go to BAZ-ART NGO for street-art projects
Child Policy: Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.